Chi Phi was first founded at Princeton University on December 24, 1824. The Alpha-Chi Chapter was first founded at Ohio Wesleyan University in 1873. After nearly 150 years, our Brotherhood still strives to enrich our Chapter, campus, and community!

In 1873, a local fraternity at OWU called Alpha di-Gamma petitioned the Chi Phi Fraternity for recognition as a Chapter of Chi Phi. These efforts were led by John Samuel Sullivan, whose two biological brothers were members of Chi Phi's Xi Chapter at Cornell. Their petition was accepted and on November 6, 1873, they were Initiated and Chartered as the Chi Chapter. In 1883 the Chapter was forced off campus by the University for violation of University policy - the Brothers had gone to a Shakespeare matinee on a Sunday instead of attending chapel - and finally returned its Charter to the National Fraternity in 1895. In 1910, Chi Chapter Alumni encouraged a local fraternity, Delta Rho Gamma, to again petition the Chi Phi Fraternity for recognition. This second petition was approved on June 11, 1911, and the Alpha-Chi Chapter was formed - the Chi designation had been given to the Chapter at Dartmouth in the intervening years. The Chapter was disbanded in 1971 due to policy violations and was re-established again in 1974, the New Members being initiated by the Iota Chapter at The Ohio State University.

Today the Chapter and Brotherhood continues to grow with quality men and a strong leadership. Our traditions and the bonds that hold us together continue to grow as the Chapter fulfills the qualities of a True Gentleman.

Our Mission

Philanthropy and community service are two essential characteristics of the Alpha-Chi chapter. Our two national philanthropies are Boys and Girls Club and RAINN, which we support locally by giving to Big Brothers Big Sisters and the Helpline of Delaware and Morrow Counties. Every brother completes at least fifteen hours of service every semester, and many brothers go above and beyond this quota.

Our largest events include the Aaron G. Riley Memorial Chili Cook-Off, which honors the memory of a dearly beloved brother, and the newly established Helpline Dinner, which supports victims of sexual assault and domestic abuse. Other events, such as our annual Egg Hunt, allow us to give back to the community in a fun way. Recently, we even hosted a Car Smash on campus to benefit Big Brothers Big Sisters. And those are just the "in-house" philanthropies--the brothers of Alpha Chi are often found on campus participating in other Greek fundraising events! We believe that service is a mark of the true gentleman.


I can’t imagine a person becoming a success who doesn’t give this game of life everything he’s got.
— Walter Cronkite, Nu Chapter

Famous Alpha-Chi Alumni
In addition to having dozens of Alumni who were prominent in the National Fraternity - beginning with Brother Vincent (below) who served as Chi Phi's last Undergraduate Grand Alpha - Alpha-Chi has some notable Alumni who are well known outside of Chi Phi:

Edward J. Wheeler, 1876 - Journalist and founder of the Poetry Society of America
William A. Vincent, 1879 - Chief Justice of the New Mexico Territorial Supreme Court
Edwin Erle Sparks, 1884 - President of Pennsylvania State University (1908-1920), namesake of Chi Phi's Sparks Memorial Medal
Hugh L. Nichols, 1888 - Lieutenant-Governor of Ohio (1911-1913) and Chief Justice of the Ohio Supreme Court (1913-1920)
Russell Guin, 1917 - Textbook publisher and creator of nighttime football (as high school principal in Westerville, Illinois)
Lawrence A. Appley, 1927 - Management specialist and organizational theorist, President of the American Management Association (1948-1968)
Donald E. Williams, 1938 - Designer of the Chi Phi crest